Saturday, February 25, 2012

Universal Remote Control A6 6 Device Learning Remote

I bought this for my technophobic elderly mother. She enjoys her DVDs and TV shows, but she's very intimidated by even basic technology. Among other problems, she always gets her remotes mixed up and ends up calling me for assistance. So, I guess you could say this remote was a present for both of us! Ha ha.



I selected this remote after doing some research here on Amazon and reading a lot of reviews. Ironically, one of the reasons I picked this one is because of one reviewer's minor complaint that the DVD transport buttons were marked as REW, FF, PLAY, etc., as opposed to the more traditional <<, >>, >, etc. symbols. Hey, that's what I wanted! Mom may not remember the symbols but she sure remembers the words, so that was perfect. Another reason I went with this brand is because I already own a Universal Remote Control URC-WR7 7 Device Remote Control, and it has done a great job for me for over a year now.

I used my mother's cable box, TV and DVD remotes to "teach" the A6 the various commands in "Learning Mode". I kept it simple for her and just taught the A6 the minimum she needed to watch whatever she wanted to. The Macro Power is a great feature for her, because it means less buttons for her to fiddle with. I programmed in her 4 favorite cable channels in the "My Favorites" buttons, and she's happy as a clam. The instruction manual is well-written, and steps you through every programming or other operation in clear, concise fashion. The "Learning" function makes "stealing" codes from other remotes a breeze.

Universal Remote Control makes great and very inexpensive remotes. Both models I've tried work flawlessly, and I won't buy another brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment