Tuesday, February 7, 2012

harmony 700 universal remote

In a nutshell, this device has brought together my Direct TV HD-DVR, Sony 3D Blu-ray player, Sony 820 3D 7.1 receiver and my LG 55LW5600 3D TV with great ease! I had 5 remotes confusing the heck out of me.... and I am a technical guy... this one device has given me the freedom to ENJOY my new 3D setup!!!



I always knew about this but did not want to spend the money on it. So do not be a cheapo, do not think it is too complicated... if you have 4-5 remotes confusing you stop thinking about buying this and just buy it now! Just like your cell phone.... you will wonder how you managed without this device a week after setting it up!

So is this the best choice of the Logitech bunch? I read pros and cons of each one... the price point was my main concern... and making sure I got a remote to do the task that I needed was too. In this case I have 4 devices (TV, Blu-ray, DVR, and 7.1 surround receiver)... and maybe I'll add a gaming device later. So this remote had me covered for the amount of devices I have. For another $65 bucks or so you can get the nicer Harmony One but in retrospect it would have been total overkill for my setup (considering my budget too).

Easy to set up: So I had the remote sent to my work. I attached it to my work PC, downloaded the software and started the setup process. Less than 10 minutes later the remote was configured. When I got home everything worked flawlessly! I stuck all those factory remotes in my couch's hidden remote pocket and left the one Harmony 700 at arms reach! (Note: the software was a breeze... just have all your gears model numbers at hand and know how your inputs are wired up... if you have that a 10 minute load time is realistic.)

On a note: Some people are electronically challenged. Some are computer challenged. If you are this is a great device for you none the less.... BUT have someone who is not challenged help you get set up. If you know your way around a computer, know your model numbers and how your components are wired then this will be super easy for you. I HATE reviewers who give this device a low rating because they have no clue how to use a PC or how to read a model number off their TV. So if you read ANY review that claims this was hard then do not listen to those reviewers. This was easy... for a 40 year old that knows basic electronics.

Another concern that people talk about is the batteries. The Harmony One has a Lithium Ion battery and this one has rechargeable AA batteries. No biggie... all you need to do is charge this once a month and you are done. It comes with the charger and data cable so who cares if the Harmony One has a better battery and a charging base. It is really a non issue in my honest opinion.

BTW, it does not feel cheap. It feels rock solid in your hands, especially compared to the cheap remotes that came with the Sony Blu-ray and receiver.

One last thing... once you get going and start to understand your new remote you will see that it is very intuitive and expandable. There are options to set your favorite TV channels, flip from one remote device to another and so forth. So after your set up play with the remote for a few weeks... and then once you get the feel of the things you will really love the Harmony 700 even more!

Good luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment