Thursday, February 16, 2012

Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight 18-Device Universal Learning Remote Control

I would have given this remote five stars had it not been for the horrible software, both installed on the remote, and what we must install to the computer to setup said remote.



First, if you're not a fan of Microsoft like I am not, then you will want to look elsewhere because you must have a Windows OS installed, AND Internet exploder to boot. Even the software CD that comes with the remote is just a hefty link to Internet Explorer.
Second, if you don't have all the time in the world to setup your new remote, then you won't like this because even with a BaS in Computer Science, you still have to rely on the companies very, very slow website which literally took over an hour to setup three devices... I found it much faster to enter all the commands manually via the remotes setup function.
Third, the software is poorly and quickly thrown out to the public, so I have had to pull the batteries twice due to a frozen remote control. This isn't a Motorola Razer from 2005 (poor OS caused them to freeze constantly), so why does a simple remote control freeze on me when I want to change a channel on my TV? If it's going to "crash" on me, it should at least play video games on the little LCD screen.

Pros:
Operates my Xbox 360 Media Center
Operates my Hunter Remote Ceiling Fan
Operates my Remote Light Switches and Outlets
Operates Everything I Setup

Cons:
Blood Pressure Raisingly Slow Setup
Screen Freezes, Requiring Battery Pull
Forces you to use Microsoft SOPA Garbage

Update: I'm upgrading my review due to the fact that I may have been to harsh to judge based on the need for Microsoft to use it.
After updating the remotes firmware, the device no longer freezes, and a simple dual boot on my Linux PC gives me a partition just for the remote setup, and that's acceptable considering the price and quality of this remote.

p.s: Make sure you get some rechargeable batteries. The supplied batteries lasted all of 10 days, but that included setting it up a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment